"The one thing that unites most all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that deep down we ALL believe that we are above-average drivers. Man that's fucked up! " - Anonymous, 2007

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

JULY 17, 2007 @ 11:51am - NB Sepulveda Blvd at Washington Pl, Arco Gas Station

I had to get off the freeway this morning to pick up some gas. As I was approaching the entry driveway, a young man in his early 20's, shirtless with stringy blonde hair, was attempting to exit the gas station. His 4-door late 80's tan colored Buick was partially blocking the driveway to the extent that no one else could enter as well as exit the station until he pulled out into traffic.

Even though traffic was light, he was not making any move to merge into traffic, deciding to sit where he was for some reason. I was not blocking him from getting out, nor was anyone ahead of him trying to exit. Moments later what light traffic there was had gone completely clear, sans me and two other cars that wanted to turn into the station's driveway. Even though I was patient waiting for the Buick to merge on out of the driveway and onto NB Sepulveda Blvd, the two cars behind me were not so patient. The tapped their horns... just a little tap each. This the kid in the Buick did not like.

He started yelling in our general direction, sticking his naked arms out to his sides in a crucifixion style pose. He just continued to sit there. I decided I would go around the block and use the driveway on the other side of the station. By the time I came around and pulled into the station, the guy in the Buick was gone, but there was a thick blue haze of smoke hanging around the pumps. One of the cars that were behind me, silver Nissan 280 Zx, was starting to pump its gas. I asked the driver of the Zx where our friend went. He said that the guy in the Buick stomped on the gas squealing his tires as he pulled onto Sepulveda a few moments after I left to go around. He went on to say that a few seconds after that, a Culver City Police cruiser sped past the station in an obvious attempt to catch the speed exhibitionist.

Finally a cop around when you need one. It figures it would be in Culver City.